Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Windows 7: Eclipse CDT + OpenGL + MinGW Part 1

So, I get tired of Visual Studio.

I get tired of it in general, I get tired of it's look, I get tired of it bugging out... And with all the Windows 8 stuff I've been reading about with the "you will develop for Metro or gtfo" what not, I just feel like now is a good time to take my OpenGL preferring self and get away from Visual Studio.

I really like Eclipse. It's easy to work with, it's free, it's got ton's of plug-ins, and it's easy to change the look with templates that don't break everything. Also the code completion is great. In Visual Studio I use Wild Tomato's Visual Assistant X. In Eclipse, I get a free and awesome code completion solution. Score.

Anyway, setting up Eclipse to develop C++ meant installing the CDT plugin. Painless.
Getting OpenGL's spinning cube hello world working... Painful.

But, it always is painful to get OpenGL started up on some dev environment you aren't experienced at working with yet.

So, let me distill the knowledge I have acquired by mentally cartwheeling nude through numerous forums and guides to you, the consumer, so that you may immediately get an OpenGL Spinning Cube application up and working using not only FreeGLUT, but also GLFW and GLEW.

No comments:

Post a Comment